Compiling Matplotlib 1.0.1 on 64-bit Mac OS X Leopard for Python 2.7
(…when you don’t already have freetype installed in a sane location as might happen with a different version of X, or sometimes if you’ve got a fancy version of LaTeX)
What a huge pain in the ass to figure this out.
- Download and install the Python 2.7 DMG.
- Download and install Numpy 1.6.0b1. *Yes, it’s the 2.6 one. :/ It works, though.
- Download and expand Matplotlib 1.0.1 source package.
- In the root source directory
cp setup.cfg.template setup.cfg
- Edit setup.cfg, uncomment line 10, and make it read:
basedirlist = /usr/X11
- In the root source directory, run:
python2.7 setup.py build**You want to do install, not build. Thx Ivan. python2.7 setup.py install
- Have a beer in celebration.
(keywords: Matplotlib 64-bit Mac OS X Leopard Python 2.7 freetype2)